Subject: Re: [boost] Making two Boost libraries interoperate
From: stefan (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-24 15:16:28

On 2019-04-24 11:10 a.m., Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost wrote:
> I understand the mechanism with a "submodule inside a module". However, I
> do not understand what you do not find the situation symmetrical. After
> all, an inverse solution could be suggested for your use case: provide a
> Boost.Python binding for MPL lib as a submodule of Boost.MPI. This way
> Boost.Python wouldn't depend on Boost.MPI, but the Boost.Python MPI
> bindings lib would depend on both Boost.MPI and Boost.Python.

That's exactly the current situation. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough
from my reply.

> IOW, why prefer Boost.MPI to Boost.Python for hosting this "gluing" module?

It isn't a "gluing" module: Boost.Python has no business in knowing
anything about Boost.MPI.

Conceptually, the Boost.MPI Python bindings belong to Boost.MPI, but are
treated as an extension so as not to leak the added dependency on
Boost.Python into Boost.MPI itself (thereby letting users who don't need
Python bindings not accidentally depend on it).

Likewise with Boost.Serialization. If for a project X you want a layer
that adds serialization support, but you don't want X as a whole to
depend on it, make it a X extension.

Stefan