Subject: Re: [boost] b2 --layout=versioned compiler tag in library filename
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-04-30 14:52:24

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 at 15:54, Paul Harris via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> In the past, b2 would build libraries named like so:
> libboost_atomic-gcc48-mt-d-1_60.so (note -gcc48-)
>
> I tried compiling Boost 1.66.0 (from boost-git) with gcc 8.3.0, but the
> library it generates is named:
>
> libboost_atomic-gcc-mt-d-x64-1_66.so (note the -gcc-)
> No compiler version number in the tag...

Possibly, it's related to the change in GCC 5+ versioning.
This was accommodated in Boost.Build in October 2018
https://github.com/boostorg/build/pull/349
that is, in Boost 1.69
(boostorg/build should use milestones for issues, IMO)

BTW, there are also CMake's issues in FindCMake.cmake
related to the compiler and architecture tag. So, you may have to
specify Boost_COMPILER and Boost_ARCHITECTURE hints
in order to help FindBoost.cmake recognise versioned names.

> I don't see any documentation around the compiler version tag, what is the
> current policy?

One of is what b2 --help says about --layout

"The default value is 'versioned' on Windows, and 'system' on Unix."

Best regards,