Subject: Re: [boost] Lets do 1.70.1 WHO IS WITH ME!!!
From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-05-05 09:11:50

On Sun, 5 May 2019 at 03:49, James E. King III via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 6:37 PM Vinnie Falco via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > A crashing defect in Beast was discovered shortly after release:
> >
> > <https://github.com/boostorg/beast/issues/1599>
> >
> > It happens under high load when things happen at just the right time
> > (or wrong time depending on how you look at it). It *will* eventually
> > happen to any long-lived connection that sees enough traffic and
> > timeouts. The fix is trivial:
> >
> > <
> https://github.com/vinniefalco/beast/commit/8620439f8e38db62713cff55a428bf8b3dd70062
> >

> > Thanks to the detailed report we were able to write a unit test which
> > reproduces it reliably.
> >
> > Is this worth putting up a 1.70.1 for? The timeout feature is new in
> > 1.70 and it is rather a shame that people might not be able to use it
> > because of a defect.
> >

> Boost releases are quite expensive and happen on a regular schedule.
> Releases happen every 4 months and people can get the latest from
> develop with the fix.
> That should be sufficient.

I'm quite keen to recompile my production systems against the latest
asio/beast changes in boost 1.70 as they are extremely pertinent to my
domain. If there is any way of getting a patch release out into the wild as
a complete tar.gz that would be helpful as it would mean I don't have to
redefine my build environment in terms of git submodules.

I am pretty sure I've seen patch releases of boost before, or a I mistaken?

If it's not possible, would anyone be able to advise on what is the
official cmake-compatible git repo for boost, and which tag/commit I should
use?

Just want to add my vote of thanks to Vinnie and Damien (not to mention
Chris Kholoff!) whose tireless work on async i/o-based web protocols in c++
has made my working life a joy.