From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-05-27 21:15:35

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 2:01 AM JeanHeyd Meneide via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Dear Boost Community,
>
> After a lot of work and discussion in-person, via e-mail, and on the
> Slack, I would like to ask for the library boost.out_ptr
> <https://github.com/ThePhD/out_ptr/blob/master/docs/out_ptr.adoc> --
> targeting C++11 -- to be endorsed for review.
>
> Documentation: ascii doc-ready and readable on GitHub
> <https://github.com/ThePhD/out_ptr/blob/master/docs/out_ptr.adoc>
> Repository: GitHub <https://github.com/ThePhD/out_ptr>
> Standards Proposal: p1132
> <https://thephd.github.io/vendor/future_cxx/papers/d1132.html> (accepted
> for and targeting C++20)
>
> boost.out_ptr is a library for making it easy to interoperate between
> smart pointers and traditional C-style initialization and allocation
> interfaces. It also enables doing so in a way that allows library authors
> to opt-into speed optimizations for their smart pointers that give them
> performance equivalent to typical C pointers (see benchmarks
> <https://github.com/ThePhD/out_ptr/blob/master/docs/out_ptr/benchmarks.adoc>
> and the Standard C++ proposal
> <https://thephd.github.io/vendor/future_cxx/papers/d1132.html#perf> for
> more details). Many thanks to the in-person discussion during Library in a
> Week at C++Now, which helped shape the implementation and yield the final
> Rationale
> <https://github.com/ThePhD/out_ptr/blob/master/docs/out_ptr/rationale.adoc>.
> Many thanks to Ezra (eracpp) for a lot of the quick, easy-to-read examples
> that became part of the documentation.
>
> Sincerely,
> JeanHeyd Meneide

+100

Remember the good ol' days when libraries went through Boost before
getting into the standard?

Well, in this case, maybe we still have time for at least concurrent
Boost and standard acceptance.

I really appreciate the input of the Boost review process.

P.S. I also like this library :-)

Tony