From: Michael Caisse (mcaisse-lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-07-19 18:37:21

On 7/19/19 11:16, Tom Kent wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 4:14 PM Michael Caisse <mcaisse-lists_at_[hidden]
> <mailto:mcaisse-lists_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> On 7/19/19 04:22, Tom Kent wrote:

<snip>

> This is my mistake. The pre-beta RC series got skipped. I did a lot of
> local testing and didn't fully understand the steps Marshall had been
> following.
>
> In short, if Tom thinks this package looks good then it is also the
> Beta1. Sorry about the confusion and thank you for the feedback. The
> next round will be executed better.
>

> I'm not wild about changing the release process on the fly, especially
> if it eliminates the community's testing of RCs. I do a bunch of tests,
> but they are limited to the Windows/Visual Studio configurations,
> there's a much more diverse audience out there that we often get
> feedback from.
>
> That said, if this is Beta1, I'll upload these binaries as the windows
> packages to bintray. (uploading now, should be visible in a few minutes)
>
> Can you please fix the file names on bintray so that the beta release
> doesn't include the rc1 in the path or file name? E.g. the files should
> be at:
> https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/beta/1.71.0.beta1/source/boost_1_71_0_b1.*%c2
>
> Just like they were for 1.70:
> https://dl.bintray.com/boostorg/beta/1.70.0.beta1/source/boost_1_70_0_b1.tar.bz2

I'll make a new bintray package without the rc.

As I mentioned, this was my mistake. The process wasn't purposely
changed on-the-fly. That said, it is the beta and other than the smoke
test of an RC for the beta, community testing against a beta is
appropriate. Putting a beta out that doesn't build at all for the most
popular platforms would be a mistake and as a result we have release
candidates for the beta.

If you are using the term "community testing" to mean specifically you
in the context of Windows builds, then I agree that there is a lot of
value to that in an RC of the beta. If you mean that the community as a
whole should test an RC of a beta before we have a beta ... I'm probably
missing the value.

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting