From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-10-03 06:18:33

On 3/10/2019 14:54, Edward Diener wrote:
> When I do a 'git pull' on Boost checked out to 'develop' it ends with:
>
> error: Server does not allow request for unadvertised object
> 3eb4826d1d2a3e46207a7e4a0467d9bab96d37f5
>
> Anybody know why this is happening with the latest Boost in the
> 'develop' branch and if I need to do something to correct this ? It does
> not seem to b3e affecting anything, and it appears the 'git pull' is
> successful at the top level in pulling the latest 'develop' changes.

The error means that there is some object referenced in your repository
or the incoming changes that you do not have locally and the server
either does not have it at all or does not have contained in any public
branches/tags.

Ensure you've done a git submodule update --init --recursive.

If it persists, try doing a fresh clone. If the problem goes away, it
was probably a lost object on your side.

Otherwise, the next most likely cause is that someone has pushed a
commit referencing a submodule commit that hasn't been pushed, or has
force-pushed away some commit that you were depending on. This is very bad.

(It's most likely someone forgetting to push the submodule. That's a
very easy mistake to make, especially if they haven't set
push.recurseSubmodules [1]. The default for that is silly and everybody
should set it.)

[1]:
https://github.com/git/git/blob/b33a15b08131514b593015cb3e719faf9db20208/Documentation/config.txt#L2229-L2241