From: Michael Caisse (mcaisse-lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-11-08 07:18:05

On 11/7/19 21:37, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> On 11/7/19 7:24 PM, James E. King III via Boost wrote:
>

>> This was already debated before.  No need to rehash it.  Maintainers are
>> already empowered to drop C++03 support.
>
> Right. they've been empowered to do this for 20 years.  How does this
> change anything

It would seem that you are not the audience. Some authors apparently
feel conflict in dropping C++03 support. A clearly documented policy of
how to do this provides no harm and may cause authors/maintainers to
deprecate old compiler support.

>> They can start by updating their
>> readme and docs and stop running their C++03 CI jobs.
>
> Is it being proposed that they should be required to do this?.  If not
> what are library maintainers expected to do differently?

The proposal does not say this. The proposal provides the minimum steps
that should be taken when a library maintainer is going to deprecate
C++03 support.

It seems very reasonable to have a written policy. I fully understand
that some maintainers will feel no additional power from such a
declaration; however, it does allow a uniform process to be pointed to.

michael

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting