From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-12-05 03:09:14

On 5/12/2019 12:45, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> fixed_string can be optimized for speed or space considerations, which
> may play in favor of embedded systems, but it should not be specialized
> to embedded systems, let alone to a specific memory layout.

But when one of the stated design goals is to target "embedded
environments without a free store", it seems reasonable to consider the
memory layout of the type quite closely.

I think Peter's point is that there is another use case for
plain-array-storage strings. I don't quite think that fixed_string in
its current role is intended (or suitable) for this case, but other than
the storage another type which does implement it would end up looking
nearly identical to fixed_string.

For example, if you already have some blittable data structures:

struct ImportantData
{
     int32_t a;
     int16_t b;
     int16_t c;
     char d[32];
};

The memory layout of this type is guaranteed (assuming platform
alignments and padding are taken into account or specified explicitly),
and it can be safely memcpy'd or stream.write()'d.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could replace "d" with a fixed_string<32> (or
<31>, depending on how you count the null terminator), and preserve all
of those properties, while gaining the string methods?

The (big) downside is that if you want to actually be able to swap
between these two implementations (eg. given existing serialized data in
the old format), then you can't do fancy things with the storage such as
putting the size at the end (or indeed anywhere).

This then starts leading you down the rabbit-hole of storage adapter
policy templates so the user can configure how it reads and writes the
length (maybe it keeps it in c; maybe it doesn't store it at all and
just uses strlen; maybe it does keep it at the end of d but with some
strlen fallback). I hope we can all agree that this would be an
over-engineering nightmare, despite the initial attractiveness of the
idea of an all-in-one "array-like string" type.