From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-12-19 17:17:29

On 12/19/2019 3:27 AM, Alexander Grund via Boost wrote:

> Am 19.12.19 um 09:17 schrieb Edward Diener via Boost:
>> First it is not my Github Boost repository but rather other Boost
>> repositories if/when I submit a PR. Second I do not think it is the
>> amount of jobs in a test, as the test will say "pending" for a number
>> of days without anything being run at all. It's like the CI Appveyor
>> automatically triggered by the PR change in Github is just heavily
>> backlogged and will not run for days while it is pending because there
>> are other CI Appveyor tests from other Internet users it must run
>> first on its queue. So some Github CI Appveyor test can be queued for
>> days until it actually runs. I really, really doubt that the CI
>> Appveyor test itself is actually running and taking days to complete.
> That's not what I wanted to say. I *think* Appveyor shares its
> capacities over a user or a repo or an org. Hence if there are 3 open
> PRs, 1 commit merged you got 4xN jobs waiting to be executed. And only
> 1(?) will execute at a given time. So your startup latency is governed
> by the number of jobs the repo/user/org has queued up before. My
> suggestion was to reduce that number and hence the latency.
>
>> My point is that if CI Appveyor tests takes days before it is even
>> started, when a PR is made against a Boost repository, maybe Boost
>> should be a bit proactive and suggest to library maintainers that some
>> other CI testing service, like the Azure mentioned by Rene, would be
>> much faster and therefore should be used in place of Appveyor. Maybe I
>> am being unduly impatient but programmers have come to expect that
>> when tests of any kind can be run it shouldn't take days in modern
>> computing to just start the actually testing procedure.
>
> Hence my suggestion for GH actions. AFAIK not all MSVC versions
> supported on appveyor are supported on GHA, so my suggestion was to move
> as many jobs from appveyor as possible

I guess I do not understand under whose account an Appveyor job gets run
for a particular Boost Github repository. I can see under Appveyor that
I have projects based on Boost Github repositories, but does this mean
that if someone triggers off an Appveyor job by updating a repository it
is run under my personal Appveyor account, their personal Appveyor
account, or some Appveyor account registered to the Boost organization
in general ?