From: Ruben Perez (rubenperez038_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-04-07 18:58:12

On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 17:14, Robert Ramey via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 4/7/20 3:20 AM, Richard Hodges via Boost wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Apr 2020 at 05:18, Robert Ramey via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm going to come down on the side of those who suggest that you
> >> consider other database systems besides mysql.
> >>
> >> One suggestion for you: Think BIG!!!

First, it would have to be a concept, not an interface. By definition,
async primitives in Asio are templates, which cannot be virtual. I am doing
this in C++17 and may lower the requirement to C++14/11 soon, so I don't
have language support for concepts.

I guess we can define concepts like DatabaseConnection, PreparedStatement,
Resultset... If you guys think this is the best way to go, we can explore
this path. But I guess these depend a little on what the higher-level
library is aiming to do. I accept suggestions and advice here.

What I don't want is to assume the responsibility for implementing all the
backends in the world, because then the project is going to die before
achieving anything useful. It has been an awful amount of work implementing
(and testing) the MySQL backend - I don't think a single person alone is
able to implement all the backends. From this point of view, I agree with
Richard in making each backend a separate library. Unless somebody offers
their help ;)

BTW, I have implemented TLS connections and widened the authentication
method support. I have also made available some online documentation - may
provide a better understanding a library for you all. You can check it
here: https://anarthal.github.io/boost-mysql-docs/index.html

Thanks all!