From: Jonathan Wakely (jwakely.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-04-17 13:53:00

I've once again got lost trying to find how to check out Boost from Git.

I started at boost.org and (after some missteps) went to
https://www.boost.org/users/download/#repository which tells me

"Details of the git repositories are on the Boost wiki."
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/ModularBoost

That takes me to a page with about 20 links. Eventually I decided that
the 13th one is the one I want:
Getting Started with Modular Boost
https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/TryModBoost

That takes me to a page that says:
"This page is superseded by
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Getting-Started Please help
migrate the rest of the old wiki !"

But when I go to that page it says:
"The Boost Wiki is at: https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki"

So I go there instead, which has nothing about Git.

The "Getting Started" page has a link to "Getting Started with Modular
Boost Library Development using Git" right at the very bottom, and the
"Getting Started - Using Git" link in the sidebar takes me to a
different page with very generic Git info (not specific to Boost), and
again, near the bottom, is the "Getting Started with Modular Boost
Library Development using Git" link. So I click that and ...

I'm back in Trac, at https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/StartModWorkflow
I don't care bout Boost's use of Git Flow. I don't care about your
branching policy, I want to check out the repo!

It turns out that on the front page of
https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki I should have clicked the "Cheat
Sheet" link in the sidebar:
https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Getting-Started%3A-Cheat-Sheet

Could you please make that easier to find from boost.org?

It seems to me that https://www.boost.org/users/download/#repository
should just link straight to that cheat sheet, or to another page with
the correct git submodule commands for checking out the repo.