From: David Bellot (david.bellot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-05-09 22:14:54

Dear Boost community,

I would like to welcome our Google Summer of Code. 2020 students.
This year, 10 students will work very very hard on improving and adding new
features to many of our libraries.

Once again, the competition has been very hard. A few numbers:
- we received 93 proposals in total. 85 of them were complete, then we kept
47 proposals only
- finally we selected 10 of them, covering 7 different Boost libraries
- and countless hours of work from the most incredible team of mentors!

Here are the list of projects for 2020:

*Boost.Real*

Kishan Shukla will be working on making the Real library ready for
revision. His main goal is to reimplement the division algorithm so it can
be used with any number base representation and the Karatsuba
multiplication algorithm. Also, it will be working on implementing some
operators and common irratianal numbers as Pi.

Mentors: Laouen Belloli and Damian Vicino.

*Boost.Astronomy*
Syed Ali Hasan will be working on the astronomical coordinate system, he
will implement different coordinate conversion using SOFA library
Mentor: Pranam Lashkari

Gopi Krishna Menon will be completing the parser for FITS file and also
optimise the already developed components.
Mentor: Sarthak Singhal

*Boost.GIL*
Debabrata Mandal will be implementing histogram computation as a built-in
feature, algorithms for histogram analysis, image processing
algorithms based on histogram and possibly integration with Boost.Histogram
library.
*Mentor*: Mateusz Loskot, Pranam Lashkari

Olzhas Zhumabek will be extending GIL's portfolio of image processing
algorithms, implementing for image scaling and sampling, Perona–Malik
diffusion,
Non-Maximum Suppression for object detection, Hysteresis threshold and some
more.
*Mentor*: Mateusz Loskot

*Boost.Multiprecision*
Dimitris Los will work on extending and optimizing parts of
Boost.Multiprecision to higher precision of many thousands of bits or more.
*Mentor*: Christopher Kormanyos

*Boost.uBlas*
Ashar Khan will stabilize and improve Boost.uBlas using the C++20-Standard.
The main focus of his project will be enhancing code-coverage and
documentation,
integrating static code analysis and generating tensor concepts.
*Mentor*: Cem Bassoy

Tom Kwok will improve and finalize the implementation of data frames in
uBlas, with the aim of delivering production-ready by the end of the summer.
Data frame in uBlas are similar in functionalities to other implementations
like in R, Python.Pandas or Julia.
*Mentor*: David Bellot

*Boost.Geometry*
Tinko Bartels will work on robust yet efficient geometric predicates for
Boost Geometry.
*Mentor*: Vissarion Fisikopoulos

*Boost.Real*
Vikram Singh Chundawat will work in taking Real to revision ready state.
His focus will be in improving the internal representation datatypes and
providing functions required to conveniently support Taylor series.
*Mentors*: Damian Vicino and Laouen Belloli

Best regards,
David Bellot