From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-05-25 00:38:41

On 5/24/2020 4:15 PM, Joaquin M López Muñoz via Boost wrote:
> TL;DR: we basically agree on the same tenets, but there's been some mutual
> misunderstanding around during our conversation.
>
> El 24/05/2020 a las 20:02, Edward Diener via Boost escribió:
>> On 5/24/2020 12:38 PM, Joaquin M López Muñoz via Boost wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure I'm parsing your sentences right, but does that mean
>>> you're ok
>>> with a library using cxx_dual from scracth but not ok if a
>>> Boost-reliant lib is
>>> later updated via cxx_dual *only* to reduce Boost dependencies in C++11?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> I am ok with a library changing itself to use C++ standard libraries
>> instead of their Boost
>> equivalents in any way it wants, whether using cxx-dual, whether
>> creating its own
>> interfaces for both Boost and the C++ standard equivalent, or whether
>> just switching
>> from using Boost to the C++ standard equivalent. But I am aware that
>> such a change
>> takes work, [...]
>

> This work is up to authors: if they are ok with not being given the shiny
> epoch badge, they can continue with the status quo.
>

>> and will displease some end-users.
>

> I fail to see in which situations users would be displeased by internal
> dependencies
> being reduced.
>

>> If the Epoch proposal is merely to get a given Boost library to create
>> another version
>> of itself where it uses C++ standard libraries instead of Boost
>> libraries so it can be part
>> of a later Epoch I can see the value of your proposal, but again who
>> will do the work
>> of this transformation ?
>

> Answered above.
>

>> But if the Epoch proposal entails forcing a given library to use some
>> features of
>> a C++ standard so that it can be part of an Epoch [...]
>

> The proposal does not entail that.
>

>> If we are just talking about library dependencies, then a Boost
>> library which has
>> 0 or more dependencies on only C++ standard libraries of a given Epoch
>> belonging
>> to that Epoch is actually fine with me. But this of course means that
>> a Boost library
>> which has no dependencies on either Boost libraries or their C++
>> standard equivalent
>> libraries of a given Epoch belongs to all Epochs, which is the way it
>> should be IMO.
>> So Boost PP, as an example, belongs to all Epochs.
>

> Well, yes, exactly, Boost.PP belongs to all epochs. Another example
> (mentioned in
> the proposal) is Boost.Mp11: no internal dependencies, requires C++11,
> not subsumed
> by the standard yet --> it belongs to all epochs from Boost11 to
> Boost20. "Requires C++11"
> implies "works in C++N" for N>=11.

>>> I understand you meant "should library X be arbitrarily updated" here.

> [...]

The MPL library uses no Boost library where a C++11 on up standard
library is available. So your "Boost.MPL, which is subsumed by
Boost.Mp11 in C++11" does not make sense to me. While MP11 may be a C+11
library that is worthy to use, I see nothing wrong with a C++11 on up
library using MPL as far as dependencies go.