From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-17 01:31:18

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 4:18 AM Andrzej Krzemienski <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> It should be possible to parametrize Boost.JSON with the string type.

Another problem with doing this, is that it breaks the invariant of
Boost.JSON's DOM value type:

* All child elements in a DOM will inherit the allocator of the root element.

If we allow user-defined strings, first they probably won't work with
storage_ptr (Boost.JSON's custom allocator container interface) and
second they can break the invariant.

My goal is for boost::json::value to be suited as a vocabulary type.
Allowing customization works against that. An example of an existing
useless customization point would be char traits in basic_string
and/or basic_string_view. I don't want to create more.

Thanks