From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-20 21:40:37

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 4:35 PM Zach Laine <whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 3:10 AM Andrey Semashev via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > On this note I'm going to ask something probably obvious, but still:
> >
> > 1. Why do you have to embed ICU code or data in Boost.Text? Why can't
> > you link with it?
>
> Because that implies a 20% slowdown (more, in cases where you're not
> using the exact pointer types used by ICU), and of course a dependency
> on ICU.

To be clear, I think this is the least bad option on the table at the
moment. I'm not happy with losing that extra perf, but I also think
it's more important to get the interfaces into the hands of users, as
this library is explicitly targeting standardization.

I honestly had not considered the fact that including ICU code under
the Unicode license in a Boost distribution of course requires all
users to review the Unicode license in addition to the Boost one. I
agree that this is not a reasonable way forward.

Zach