From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-06-27 19:39:23

On 2020-06-27 07:27, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 7:02 PM Zach Laine via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> This list is not very welcoming.
>> that is exactly the right kind of thing for Boost did not submit to
>> Boost because they felt this list was rude and combative.
>
> Yes well this is what happens when you encourage everyone to play the
> part of victim. Its a larger problem and not one that is specific for
> Boost to solve.
>
>> this list is hard for outsiders to penetrate
>> I have no suggested fixes for this
>
> I agree. I think the mailing-list format is an anachronism. I would
> like to rebrand Boost and the website to be a more comprehensive
> social media site with an emphasis on C++. Instead of a mailing list,
> it should have a forum.

IMHO, forums are much less convenient and interactive. All you need to
use an ML (or multiple MLs) is an email client with a decent filtering
system (which may also be implemented on the server). Whereas a forum is
project-specific (meaning if you have 5 forums, you go to 5 different
places, each having its own auth, UI, etc.), and you need to actively
check it in a browser from time to time. (Email notifications exist, but
they are not equivalent to a ML as they are less interactive and don't
notify of new topics.)

I don't mind having a forum as an additional communication platform, if
there is demand, but it should not replace the ML.