From: Jupiter (jupiter.hce_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-07-02 10:32:45

Hi Richard,

On 7/2/20, Richard Hodges via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Why would you do this?
>
> C and C++ already has a language mechanism for this:
>
> struct UART
> {
> int reg_a : 8;
> int reg_b : 8;
> int reg_c : 8;
> // etc
> };
>
> #define my_uart (*(UART *)0xaddress)
>
> // perform read
> auto data = my_uart.reg_a;

Is that simple? Or are we doing something stupid? Our read / write
functions are based on STPM32 document communication protocol, it is
very complicated, we have to open driver and fd, we have to rung CRC
check, we have to run ByteSwap, are those steps unnecessary and can be
replaced by a single a single read line auto data = my_uart.reg_a;?

Will be very grateful if we are missed C++ or boost functions call and
if there is way to simplify our code.

Thank you.

jupiter

-