From: Krystian Stasiowski (sdkrystian_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-09-23 17:26:36

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 2:04 PM Harshada Wighe via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> 5. Compared to our in house JSON library, this library was slightly
> slower. We have very simple but very large JSON data. We use objects and
> arrays, but only integer numbers with no fractional part and very large
> ASCII strings, and no booleans and no nulls. In one of our standalone
> conversion tools we tried using this library and found it had a 4% longer
> runtime on a small 170 MB file.
>
> The parser allocates too much memory:
>
> 6. I think this is because the design is not optimized for the case when
> all the JSON content is already stored in memory. In our parser we point to
> the strings in the original buffer.

What you describe here is in-situ parsing. This is not what Boost.JSON aims
to provide, nor is it feasible for an incremental parser (in the vast
majority of use-cases).

As an aside, I'm quite surprised that it performed so well against an
in-situ parser. If your in-house library does not validate UTF-8 byte
sequences, consider turning it off for Boost.JSON in your benchmark. It
could result in a considerable increase in performance.