From: pbristow_at_[hidden]
Date: 2020-11-28 12:28:16

users.

Nearly all of Boost is still C++03 compatible - It is only key or core libraries that have this big
and bad effect.

(People using Boost.Math to calculate a probability will still be able to - nothing much has
changed).

We have an excellent track record for providing workarounds that keep the old version working where
possible, while using macros to allow improvements from using new language features.

Eventually library authors run of out road, and/or patience, and say "enough - I need Cxx-more" but
it's a slow and continuous process.

Our continuous progress but keep as much working as possible strategy has worked very well for
decades.

The difficulty with our strategy is selling it to potential users who are desperate to be able to
tick a box marked 'Cxx-supported'.
It gives them a warm feeling, but little in reality.

Somehow we don't seem to be able to sell our strategy.

But if we get to Boost 17, Boost 20 and Boost 23 will soon follow. Won't more Boost 1 (and then 17,
23...) users be frightened off/confused?

Paul

PS And KISS applies? (Keep Is Simple Sirs)