From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-11-29 22:03:53

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 4:44 PM Edward Diener wrote:

> On 11/29/2020 10:47 AM, Mike via Boost wrote:
> >> Gesendet: Samstag, 28. November 2020 um 18:32 Uhr
> >> Von: "Edward Diener via Boost" <boost_at_[hidden]>
> >>
> >> I think this is valid. But you are certainly allowed to create a PR for
> >> a Boost library which changes its use of a Boost type to its C++
> >> standard library equivalent, with the proviso that the Boost library's
> >> base C++ level be C++11 and not C++03. The latter should not be an issue
> >> since Boost has already stated that Boost officially supports C++11 on
> >> up.
> >
> > Aside from the fact that things like std::stng_view, std::byte or std::memory_resource
> > aren't c++11, but c++17:
> > Could you point me to this statement?
>
> What statement ? Boost doesn't officially support C++03, even if
> individual libraries still support C++03, so a PR that changes a library
> that currently supports C++03 as its base level to instead support C++11
> as its base level by using C++11 standard libraries in its code instead
> of the Boost equivalent libraries, would not be a radical change. Of
> course it is still up to the maintainer(s) of the library to accept the
> PR. As for changing a library's base level to C++14, C++17, or C++20 via
> a PR that probably needs to be justified since it would remove that
> library's usefulness for those compiling at the C++11 level.

Note that for new libraries being accepted into Boost, the only
requirement is that (at the time of review) they compile with at least
two C++ compilers and that they at least compile under the current C++
standard (which today is C++17).

i.e. We accept new libraries that don't compile under C++11, and we
even have some libraries today that require C++14 or higher.

Glen