From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-12-03 20:44:26

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 11:59 PM Alexander Grund via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Am 02.12.20 um 19:17 schrieb John Maddock via Boost:
> > FYI there are many traits in boost.type_traits which are not part of
> > the standard. I would hate to see folks re-implementing is_detected
> > or has_operator_XXXX just to "not use type_traits".
>
> I'm aware of that. I didn't say to "ban" type_traits or reimplement it.
> My suggestion was to "ban" (hard word, I meant to "very strongly
> discourage using it and actively shift boost libraries away from it")
> MPL and reduce "the use of type_traits to the absolute minimum". For
> most (anyone got numbers? I'd say 80% at least) there are std::
> counterparts in C++11 which (usually) do the same. And if the library
> doesn't use any of the additional boost traits, that would remove
> another dependency and reduce compiletimes for end users (which likely
> included <type_traits> somewhere already)
>
> From Emil Dotchevski
>
> > People who want to ban MPL or any other library are effectively
> admitting they have no skin in the game (they don't use it). We should
> hear from actual users, but we won't; they don't have a problem to
> complain about, because we have not broken their code yet.
>
> You might have missed that, but this came up many times in the past.
> Last I have noticed was https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-206

I'm not disputing that long build times are a problem, in particular with
MPL. My point is that not breaking MPL and libraries that use it has a big
upside, and that we can't know how big of an upside that is until we break
it, because people don't complain about things that work.