From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-12-10 21:49:25

> Alexander Grund wrote:
>
>> IMO it would be enough on a cost-benefit ratio to go to C++11 by
>> basically banning the use of MPL in Boost (the single-worst offender
>> on compile times) and reducing the use of type_traits to the absolute
>> minimum. Those 2 are (transitively) in the largest chunk of boost
>> libraries and hence hit hard on compiletimes.
>
> What is the problem with TypeTraits?

Boost.TypeTraits was heavily optimized and removed dependency on MPL
long time ago. I remember writing to this mailing list complaining about
the preprocessed size of type traits and how I was writing my own traits
to avoid it.

Later TypeTraits contributors did a wonderful job simplifying
Boost.TypeTraits and I'm thinking about switching back. The changelog in
boost.typeTraits reads:

Boost 1.60.0: Refactored traits to depend only on Boost.Config. Greatly
simplified code to improve readability and remove workarounds for old
compilers no longer supported.

Best,

Ion