From: Mehrdad Niknami (mniknami_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-01-05 19:52:04

I don't think it's possible without hurting the efficiency.

Each block is represented by an (index, pointer) pair. Pushing to the front
would require re-adjusting the indices in every bucket on every push to the
front, and that would be very slow.
On the other hand if I change the representation to, say, a (begin, end)
pair, it would have repercussions. For example, subtracting iterators would
take logarithmic time instead of constant time, as they no longer have
global bucket indices to subtract.

There are also possibly less significant but still nontrivial trade-offs I
can think of. For example, worst-case space usage would become O(infinity)
(like vector) instead of the current ~2n space bound (which is even
slightly worse than a typical deque's n + n/16 or similar in the worst
case). Furthermore, random-indexing could no longer be done in O(log log n)
time. (Note: this last part is something I haven't yet implemented for
stationary_vector, but it's trivial to implement right now due to the
global index maintained for each block. This would no longer be possible
without that information.)

I think there are likely more trade-offs as well, but for ones I could
think of were more than sufficient to rule it out as a drop-in replacement
for any existing container in STL or Boost; that's why I ended up
implementing a new container.

Mehrdad