From: Alexander Grund (alexander.grund_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-01-06 11:36:02

> I think Python also supports a wide variety of hardware. You are right, of course, that it would be rather awkward for an existing C++ application to call into Python to do its ML tasks, having a native C++ library to do the job is preferred.
That is not required. Both leading ML frameworks (TensorFlow & PyTorch)
offer a C++ API for most, if not all, operations. At least the simple
ones (working with tensors and layers)
> I am not sure about your argument regarding small data and or model sizes. I think in most cases you want to train Neural Nets with large amounts of data. Can you add generic GPU support with Boost.Compute?
> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_75_0/libs/compute/doc/html/index.html
>
>> To be more specific, the example application that I have in the GitHub repo for MNIST digits dataset, produces a model, which can be trained to offer a 95% success rate in about 10-15 minutes on a single CPU core. While the example is somewhat synthetic, it is still representative of a wide variety of scenarios where an input from a sensor or a small image can be inspected by a NN component. Another application (not shown on GitHub) was a tiny model to estimate the cost of a web service API response time, given a small set of parameters, such as the user identity, API method, and payload size, which was re-trained on every start of the web service, and used to make predictions about the resource consumption by different callers for load balancing and throttling purposes.
> Those are good niche applications, I think.
>
> Some more questions:
>
> Are you building the network at compile-time or run-time? It looks from your examples like it is compile-time. I think your library should offer both. Building the network at compile-time may give some speed benefits as it can gain from compiler optimisations, but it would require re-compilation to change the network itself. Building the network at run-time means you can change the network without re-compiling. This is useful for example when you want to read the network configuration (not only its weights) at run-time from a configuration file.

Smallish networks are certainly a niche, if you want to do anything
serious you won't be able to beat TF/PyTorch in performance. So keeping
this focused on small, static (aka compiletime) models with only the
basic layers and maybe even with optional training (removing this avoids
the auto-differentiation need) could be the way.
Using compile-time models makes this focused on usage of ML instead of
development and allows the optimizations from the compiler to be used
which are very important for small models.

However I fear this is a not fit for Boost. ML evolves so fast, adding
more and more layer types etc., that I fear this library to be outdated
already during review.
The only chance I see if this purposely is for very basic networks, i.e.
FullyConnected, Convolution, SoftMax and similar basic layers, maybe
with an extension to provide a ElementWise and BinaryOp layer templated
by the operator (this may be problematic for auto-differentiation
though). Reusing what we have (uBlas, Boost.Compute) might be a good
idea too.