From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-01-20 03:23:26

Hello,

I'm unfortunately not familiar enough with the platform (Windows) or
this compiler (MSVC) to help, but I would like to add some notes in case
someone else on this list has ideas:

Compiling a trivial C++ applet based on code such as
https://boostorg.github.io/python/doc/html/numpy/tutorial/ndarray.html
on Linux simply requires a command such as

```

g++ -I /usr/include/python3.8 -o np_test np_test.cpp -lboost_numpy38
-lboost_python38 -lpython3.8
```

I find particularly confusing that the MSVC linker would generate a
missing symbol error for the `ndarray::get_data()` function, given that
this function (as defined in
https://github.com/boostorg/python/blob/develop/include/boost/python/numpy/ndarray.hpp#L101)
ought to be inlined, and not generate a symbol at all.

Does anyone familiar with this platform have an idea under what
circumstances this may result in a link error ? (See the exact
command-line in the previous post).

Thanks,

Stefan