From: Peppard (peppard+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-05-07 21:05:22

On 2021-05-06 07:48, Boris via Boost wrote:
>>> It would be nice if Boost could provide more persistent download URLs,
>>> as such changes can mess up automated downloads (scripts,
>>> Dockerfiles, ...).
>> Changing once in four years is “not persistent”?
>>
> A URL redirecting script on boost.org would be more persistent.

Hopefully so, yes. But more importantly, by using an external service
you might be depending on them to decide whether the next change will be
in four years or tomorrow. And you're also restricting yourself, as it
makes switching to another provider more painful.

Also take a look what the current external service is doing, they are
forwarding (at least partially) to another third party, but their links
appear to be local.

Then finally - as I tried to argue initially as well - there currently
seems to be no uniform way to automatically download all official
releases and also the betas and release candidates, so persistence might
not be the only argument.

One thing I'm not quite sure about though is how that would impact the
(non-existing?) privacy policy. (OT: boost.org is using multiple third
parties - also not exactly privacy friendly ones -, so it should have a
privacy policy, no?)