From: Rainer Deyke (rdeyke_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-06-03 11:25:47

On 03.06.21 10:03, Paul A Bristow via Boost wrote:
> Including instructions on how to update CMake for popular platforms in the Boost 'how-to-install'
> instructions would be really helpful - and fend off moaners.
>
> That is a simple enduring policy and needs no discussion (like this one) on each release.
>
> This matches what we do for b2 - always rebuild for each Boost release.
"What we do for b2" is distribute the source code along with Boost,
along with a shell script that builds and installs b2 in the build
directory, ready to use for building Boost, all without requiring root
access. That's quite a bit more than just pointing the user to a
third-party download that probably wants to install at the system level,
replacing the system-provided CMake.

The difficulty with taking the same approach for CMake is that CMake has
its own set of requirements. b2 can be built in just about computer
that has a shell and a C++ compiler. CMake requires GNU Make plus a
whole bunch of development libraries.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])