From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-06-04 15:17:32

> Niall Douglas wrote:
>> On 04/06/2021 13:04, Andrey Semashev via Boost wrote:
>>> I could add a runtime
>>> check, but I definitely don't want that check to happen on every call.
>>> This means the result must be stored globally in a thread-safe manner.
>>
>> At work we've got llfio::stat_t::fill() being called in some places millions of
>> times per second.
>>
>> It is implemented by attempting statx first, and if it is not supported, then stat
>> or other syscalls to emulate the same.
>>
>> You cannot cache statx support/non-support because only some filing systems
>> support statx, and others do not. So depending on the path used, it may work,
>> but at other times, not.
>>
>> Right now at work we're on kernels which don't support statx, so we are
>> always getting back ENOSYS and then falling back to emulation. We have not
>> found any performance issues.
>
> A kernel call is infinitely more expensive than checking a number against
> ENOSYS. It's absolutely impossible for the test to ever be a performance issue.

Well, that depends.

If you're on a kernel that has no statx syscall, then the userspace
syscall dispatcher will spot the unknown syscall number, and you'll get
back ENOSYS very quickly, as you point out.

But if you're on a kernel with statx syscall, and instead it is the
filing system which doesn't support statx, then that's a full fat
syscall just to get back ENOSYS.

I don't personally think anyone who cares about metadata retrieval
performance would ever use Filesystem or std::filesystem because both
tend to do dynamic memory allocations, which easily swamp a statx call.
So, in that sense, even many syscalls can be done and it'll be
unmeasurable compared to say a filesystem path construction.

If this were Windows, because Filesystem calls many Win32 functions to
build a stat, that is a very different situation. But not on POSIX.

Niall