From: Alexander Grund (alexander.grund_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-06-08 14:04:53

> I don't think we should mandate add_subdirectory calls to come in a specific
> order. Even if we can hack something in the superproject to do it, users who use
> add_subdirectory manually will need to get the order right.
I know this is a kind of trade-off.
At least for the super-project it is kinda easy: You already have a
function which includes dependencies recursively. All you need to do is
do the depth-first.

For users who add_subdirectory the boost libs I admit this is an issue.
But to me this only means that Boost authors should avoid relying on
configure-checks which need other libs and where required use the
Boost::* aliases so the error in case it was not added is quite clear.
Users then need to make sure to e.g. add Boost::predef and Boost::config
first.
I don't think this is too bad.