From: Soronel Haetir (soronel.haetir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-07-23 15:23:03

Phil Endecott,

Match time linear to the length of the string works fine if the regex
doesn't have alternations but breaks down completely if they are
present.

Imagine you have the regex
"auto|bool|const|continue|...|([A-Z_][A-Za-z0-9_]*)" set up to match
any C token (the ... in this case are missing keywords, integers, etc)
but your input is "continuation". This regex will try for each
alternate, get almost all the way with "continue" but then have to
backtrack and try the other alternates. It's only when you get to the
very last that the string will match. And it would be possible to
contrive even worse examples (regex match over a dictionary for
example)

John Maddock was describing regex in general as not being able to
specify the complexity rather than your specific example.