From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-08-25 08:27:22

There are a couple of convoluted ways to build cancellation into the linux
resolve() activity.
The problem is that the sockets and timers used for this are entirely
embedded in the OS-shipped library layer and not accessible to user code.
It's a bit of a mess that has never been cleaned up. There isn't much that
Asio can do about it.

At present the "cleanest" way is to fork a child process to do the resolve
call for you and async_wait on a pipe from that child. If you want to
cancel it, send the child a SIGKILL which will result in the wait on the
pipe completing with an error.

Ghastly I know...