From: Richard Hodges (hodges.r_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-09-21 20:46:49

On Tue, 21 Sept 2021 at 17:22, Дмитрий Архипов via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I haven't tested it, but this should probably work:
>
> class session {
> public:
> session(tcp::socket socket)
> : session(std::make_unique<session_impl>(std::move(socket)))
> {}
>
> void start() { do_read(); }
>
> private:
> session(std::unique_ptr<session_impl> impl) : impl_(std::move(impl)) {}
>
> void do_read()
> {
> auto& impl = *impl_;
> impl.socket.async_read_some(
> boost::asio::buffer(impl.data, max_length),
> [impl = std::move(impl_)](boost::system::error_code ec,
> std::size_t length) mutable {
> if (ec) { return; }
> session(std::move(impl)).do_write(length);
> });
> }
>
> void do_write(std::size_t length) { ... }
>
> auto constexpr max_length = 1024;
> struct session_impl {
> session_impl(tcp::socket socket) : socket_(std::move(socket)) {}
> tcp::socket socket_;
> char data_[max_length];
> };
> };

> session(std::move(socket)).start();
>
> вт, 21 сент. 2021 г. в 18:02, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]>:
> >
> > wt., 21 wrz 2021 o 16:50 Vinnie Falco via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> > napisał(a):

> that a
> of the
> ad-hoc GC.

Dear Andrzej,

The use of shared_ptr in asio examples is largely an historic artefact from
when the only completion type was only a function object, as in these
examples.

When using this style of asynchronous completion it is convenient to use
some kind of reference-counted pointer to maintain the lifetime of IO
objects such as sockets and their associated state, such as buffers. You
don't *have* to use a reference-counting but you will need to ensure that
the io objects and related buffers are not deleted while there are any
asynchronous operations in progress against them. A shared_ptr happens to
be the most convenient way of doing this when:
- using continuation-passing style completion handlers, and
- the lifetime of the io object is not deterministic.

When using other styles of completion handling, such as the in-built
coroutine support, reference counting can often become less important since
code can be written in a "structured concurrency" style. In this way,
asynchronous code can be laid out with the same structure as synchronous
code. IO Object lifetimes then become governed by the coroutines that
created them and are awaiting asynchronous operations against them.