From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-10-16 18:27:08

On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 2:17 PM Andrey Semashev wrote:
> Please, express your opinions on this matter, in particular:
>
> - Do you think it is good/ok/bad to have yet another string_view in Boost?
> - Is it ok that boost::core::string_view is not a drop-in replacement
> for std::string_view? Should it be changed to be one?
> - Should we, perhaps, do something with boost::string_view from
> Boost.Utility? Deprecate?
> - Should we reopen the discussion to add conversion to/from
> std::string_view to boost::string_view, which led to this fork? Perhaps,
> hold a vote to make this change as widely requested?
> - Any other course of action or thoughts?

I would prefer that the boost::string_view in Boost.Utility have these
conversions.

A vote is fine, but - that said - I want to be clear that this is
still up to Marshall, i.e. I don't see this as a matter of a vote
overruling him, but rather it might help in convincing him to change
his mind.

Note that boost::string_view has the more optimal output operator
implementation (via Boost.IO which Boost.Core cannot depend on).

I would prefer one Boost string_view be the best, rather than have two
that aren't.

Glen