From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2021-10-17 22:12:07

On 17/10/2021 07:17, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> - Do you think it is good/ok/bad to have yet another string_view in Boost?

It is bad to add a duplicate type. It is worse that it has different
behaviour from the original and from std::string_view.

> - Should we, perhaps, do something with boost::string_view from
> Boost.Utility? Deprecate?
> - Should we reopen the discussion to add conversion to/from
> std::string_view to boost::string_view, which led to this fork? Perhaps,
> hold a vote to make this change as widely requested?

One or more of these things, probably.

I would have less of a problem if the addition had been in another
library (such as Boost.StringView2) with clear deprecation of the one in
Boost.Utility and intent to remove in the future, similar to
Coroutine/Coroutine2 and other existing examples.

Adding a "replacement" that is not a replacement to Boost.Core just
seems like the wrong thing to do, on multiple levels.