From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-04-04 20:24:46

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 12:05 PM William Linkmeyer <wlink10_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> It would be fitting, I think, to use boost-based projects for the website’s
> back-end I’m currently working on a boost::beast-based server. It hosts
> my website, but that’s not exactly mass-tested.

While I am flattered, trying to use Boost.Beast and C++ to build a
modern website may not be the most efficient. That's a lot of new code
which few people will understand. I haven't deployed any servers
recently, but I suspect that the economical and pragmatic solution is
to use off-the-shelf software parts that are widely understood and for
which it is easy to find reasonably skilled maintainers.

> I am curious in re. the thought that Boost is on a decline. If the point of comparison
> is high-impact library creation and adoption, then yes, maybe boost is on a decline.
> But, aren’t there only so many fundamental libraries to create — and doesn’t boost
> cover virtually all of those fundamental libraries?

Human creativity is essentially infinite, and software is infinitely
frustrating, so I think that we will not be covering all the
potentially useful libraries any time soon, if ever :)

You do raise a good question, how do we measure the success of Boost?
Is it the number of installs? The number of programs using Boost? The
amount of participation on the lists? I think software development is
an inherently social phenomenon. It is the vibrant exchange of
knowledge and ideas that drives the state-of-the-art forward.

Thanks