From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-04-16 22:29:44

> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>> We probably won't agree on a single common format of such release notes
>> document, so while I think the idea is good in theory, I don't see how it can be
>> implemented in practice.
>
> Well, we already agree on a common format (.qbk), so we can just keep using it.

Yes, QuickBook would be the obvious candidate, and I would be in favor
of it, but we already have libraries that don't use QuickBook. It would
be odd to have docs in one format and the changelog in another.

> The advantage of JSON is that it supports maps (so that all the versions can be
> in the same file) but we could in principle use changelog_1_80_0.qbk etc.

I think it would be preferable to have a single changelog file. That's
the current practice in libraries, and I think, that's the preferred way
for the readers (i.e. so that one is able to read and search the
changelog back for multiple releases on one page). If we agreed on the
changelog format (or a list of formats) we could require certain tags or
other formatting tricks so that the website is able to extract release
notes for a given release. I don't see this as that big of a problem.