From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-04-17 05:02:40

On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 6:19 PM Stefan Seefeld via Boost
<boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> In that case I would suggest that we discuss such structural & process
> improvements *before* we start to think of a website redesign. Otherwise
> we'll just perpetuate the same errors we made in the previous iteration(s).

No, because the current site is dated and lacking the features to take
us where we want to go.

Beman Dawes was a great founder and we have him to thank for Boost and
for the contributions to the C++ standard, among other things.
Unfortunately he is no longer with us, and our institutions are
failing. The committee doesn't look to Boost for inspiration anymore,
preferring to design its own components instead of looking to
established practice. Technical conversations are dispersed from the
mailing list and into silos such as GitHub, Slack, or reddit. It takes
increasing time to find a review manager, and fewer people write
reviews. The pace of arrival of newcomers to Boost whether it is in
terms of proposing new libraries, contributing to existing libraries,
or discussing those libraries on the list, has slowed. There is less
activity.

The reality is that the foundations of Boost need to be refreshed, and
this is not going to come from people who are still browsing the
mailing list using the command line. Boost needs an infusion of vigor,
ideas, and social technology; but most importantly it needs new people
and new leaders or else it will continue to fossilize. Boost needs
Milennials, Zillennials, Gen Z, and soon Gen A.

Attracting these cohorts means speaking their language, and it is not
the language of GNU Mailman [1]. It is the language of social media.
Apps which are accessible on desktops, laptops, tablets, but also
phones. Of apps that effortlessly connect developers together through
videos, images, message-based discussions, live chat, video chat, and
audio chat. Apps for sharing code (GitHub), apps for compiling code
(compiler-explorer). It is the apps which hold the attention of C++
users by delivering to them the information that they need. Instant
access to programming best practices, code snippets ready for copying
and pasting, powerful libraries with good documentation and permissive
licenses that are ready to be incorporated into a larger work with
just a click. But also access to a growing community of the very best
experts that the C++ language has to offer. Experts who have published
libraries that are distributed with almost every version of Linux. In
short, access to Boost library authors.

To revitalize Boost and C++ we must make our talent and expertise
available to the next generation so the individuals who are motivated
to strive and achieve the most they can will have the resources and
information at their fingertips for them to learn and grow. To achieve
this we will build a social media platform on boost.org where all C++
users can visit to learn from the best, find the best libraries, share
their techniques and ideas, and build the new tools we need to make
continued progress. A living, breathing website with an infinitely
scrolling list of user-generated, C++ related content. With avatars,
personal profiles, badges, and social scores for participation to
encourage engagement. In other words, "A Home Page for C++".

We as authors must not only build and embrace a new boost.org but we
must attract and cultivate the next generation of library creators so
that Boost will continue to thrive well into the future. I hope
everyone will join me as we take steps on this journey.

Thanks

[1] The mailing list functionality still needs to be available to
power-users who benefit from consolidated access to all their
communities. This will be implemented in the new site.