From: James E. King III (jking_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-05-05 16:36:49

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 12:16 PM Vinnie Falco <vinnie.falco_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 8:52 AM James E. King III via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Why not simply have a concerted effort to remove C++03 support?
>
> Not a bad idea in principle, but maybe you could ask Christopher
> Kohlhoff if he wants to drop C++03 support from Asio, and whether he
> wants to maintain this new, 3rd version of Asio?
>
> Thanks

I may not understand the concerns there, but in general what I was
suggesting was:

1. Stop testing C++03 in CI
2. Stop advertising C++03 support in repositories
3. Make it clear that C++11 is required to use boost >= 1.8X
4. Close issues that involve C++03 specifically (likely not that many)
5. Allow repositories to accept C++11 compliant pull requests
6. Come up with a project-wide rule, for example that boost will
    support 3 back-revisions of C++ so the future is more predictable.

Libraries do not need to immediately rework themselves.

They simply no longer need to consider it broken when C++03
no longer builds properly.

- Jim