From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-05-13 01:20:24

On 13/05/2022 06:30, Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 5/12/22 9:55 AM, John Maddock wrote:
>> Watch out - all of <codecvt> is deprecated in C++17, I think you're
>> relying only on <local> and may be OK though...
>
> wow - that would be a big one.  codecvt is the fundamental component to
> support wchar is it not?  Does this mean that wchar is gone also?  If so
> what replaced it? etc....

wchar_t is still around (although char8_t and std::u8string are the new
hotness), it's just the conversion functions that are deprecated. I
guess you're just not supposed to convert anything any more.

More seriously, AFAIK there's no plans to actually remove it
until/unless an actual replacement gets standardised. But I think in
the meantime they'd rather you use something like the ICU library for
conversions instead.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if, in not wanting to take a dependency
on an external library (and not wanting to continue using an officially
deprecated standard function), a lot of libraries/apps will write their
own subtly-broken conversion routines instead...