From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-05-17 16:40:51

On 5/15/22 23:00, René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Boost wrote:
> There is a new release of B2 and there are some important changes..
>
> * The build-build.jam file, and the build-system rule, used to specify
> where to find the build system Jam file is no longer used for that purpose.
> There is now an internal method for finding the corresponding build files
> relative to the b2 executable. This means that the preferred method for
> using B2 is to install it first. But, the regular bootstrap use in Boost is
> still supported.
>
> * There is now a Windows MSI installer available that supports both
> per-user and per-machine installs without having to build it yourself.
>
> * Installing the current, and future, B2 allows one to use the newest B2
> with current Boost release and most older Boost releases. And of course the
> same goes for non-Boost projects.
>
> For other changes see the release notes <
> https://github.com/bfgroup/b2/releases/tag/4.9.0>

I think this broke my local setup.

I have traditionally put a locally built b2 binary in my ~/bin directory
to be able to run it from anywhere on my system. Previously this worked
fine, now it doesn't work if I run b2 from a project directory (e.g. a
library directory or tests directory):

~/src/boost/libs/filesystem/test$ b2 -j16 release

Unable to load B2
-----------------
No 'bootstrap.jam' was found by searching for:
  /home/user/bin/.b2/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  /home/user/share/b2/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  /home/user/share/b2/src/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  /home/user/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  /home/user/bin/src/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  /home/user/bin/tools/build/src/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  /home/user/binsrc/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  /home/user/src/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  /home/src/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  /src/kernel/bootstrap.jam
  tools/build/src/bootstrap.jam

Please consult the documentation at 'https://www.bfgroup.xyz/b2/'.

It looks like previously bootstrap.jam was searched relative to the
superproject root, now it's not.