From: Jonathan Wakely (jwakely.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-05-20 11:03:06

On Wed, 11 May 2022 at 19:23, Phil Endecott via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Trademark
> ---------
>
> Klemens Morgenstern makes the point that MySql is a trademark of
> Oracle. Calling this "Boost.MySql" doesn't look great to me.

I agree. Of all the trademarks in the world you could violate, Oracle's
would be close to last on my list.

As far as I know, Oracle haven't objected to MySQL++ <
https://tangentsoft.com/mysqlpp/> or mysqlcppapi <
http://mysqlcppapi.sourceforge.net/> but Boost is higher profile than both
of them, and it's not a gamble I'd want to take.
http://mysqlcppapi.sourceforge.net/

> How can you write "The Boost MySql-compatible Database Library"
> more concisely?

It's not a MySQL-compatible database library because it isn't a database.
MySQL does actually have a "database library", i.e. an embeddable library
that provides an in-process RDBMS. That's not what the proposed library
does.

It's a client API for connecting to a database server. In MySQL world I
think these are called "connectors".

I recommend an original name for the project, and only mention MySQL in the
"headline" description, something like "A client library for connecting to
MySQL and MariaDB databases".