From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-08-16 15:19:43

On 16/08/2022 00:53, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 4:46 PM Gavin Lambert via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> My experiences with std::filesystem and boost::filesystem have been
> nothing but negative. I think that the decision to make the character
> type different on Windows was a mistake. The need for locales and
> imbuements and global state and... really, it is just giving me a big
> headache.
>
> I think there is room for a new library that handles files,
> directories, file metadata, and also has some features of nowide
> (where is the signature of fopen that accepts a filesystem::path?). It
> should be utf-8 only, use Plain Old char (even on Windows), it should
> be completely portable, except that it requires that directories are
> possible and that the filesystem isn't weird (I don't really care
> about compatibility with grandpa's EPROMs that can hold 9-bit flat
> files).

With proposed std::filesystem::path_view you can use UTF-8 everywhere
once it is into the standard. The committee has signed off on the
design, I just need to get it through LWG and it's into the next IS.

I just need non-work free time to reappear to get back to working on my
standards papers. It'll happen eventually.

Niall