From: Family Schabel (family_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-08-29 23:47:47

Hi Bert,

Maybe this link will clarify:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/37881/why-is-torque-not-measured-in-joules

Boost Units explicitly keeps track of angular displacement for this (and similar reasons). The unit of torque really should not be energy (J or N.m) because a torque is a force applied tangentially, so, to compute the amount of energy required to exert a torque one needs to take the product of the force with the angular displacement. The nomenclature is a bit confusing because, as you note, newton_meter is not the same as newton*meter - the convention is that torque is measured in newton meters, but it is really newton meters per radian as encoded in the library. If that weren’t the case, you could equate torque with energy, which is the kind of mistake Boost Units is intended to help prevent.

Matthias