From: Ivan Matek (libbooze_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-10-29 13:54:14

If you go to
https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_80_0/doc/html/boost_asio/overview/core/async.html#boost_asio.overview.core.async.implementation_using_reactor

you will see that it says:

* On many platforms, Boost.Asio implements the Proactor design pattern in
terms of a Reactor, such as select, epoll or kqueue. This implementation
approach corresponds to the Proactor design pattern as follows: *

*[...]*

* On Windows NT, 2000 and XP, Boost.Asio takes advantage of overlapped I/O
to provide an efficient implementation of the Proactor design pattern. This
implementation approach corresponds to the Proactor design pattern as
follows: *

I am unfortunately not a pattern or OS expert, but I would expect that on
every modern OS proactor can be implemented without using reactor, e.g. see

*https://stackoverflow.com/a/57451551/700825
<https://stackoverflow.com/a/57451551/700825>*

The fact that mentioned Windows are NT, XP and 2000 also furthers my
suspicion that docs are outdated.