From: Klemens Morgenstern (klemensdavidmorgenstern_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-01-28 04:09:21

I do like reducing dependencies, but I don't see the point of separating
things just for the sake of it.
If you're writing a boost library most users will have installed boost as a
monolith;
but even those that didn't will use this in the context of http+asio so
that an avoiding
the inclusion of `asio/buffer.hpp` doesn't really seem like a great
motivation for a new library to me.
I for one don't mind using sub-libraries, e.g. including boost/core for the
buffer types seems ok to me.

What I would however like is a unification of the two dynamic_buffer
concepts, which are currently a mess.
Taking the beast buffers and making them work nicely with asio would be
great.
But given the v1 v2 chaos, this might not be very easy.
I would add that I think every buffer is also sink & source, so they maybe
should implement that interface as well.

Additionally, I feel some need for a library managing raw memory. It's
quite common to just use vector<unsigned char>,
but I find this incorrect, because it's typed. Raw memory doesn't have a
type,
which is why malloc returns void* and not unsigned char*.
Thus a container type for a chunk of raw memory should also be included.
I.e. something akin to a vector<void> if you will. Or like `bytes` in
python.