From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-02-04 13:26:42

On Sat, Feb 4, 2023 at 7:08 AM Peter Dimov wrote:

> This proposal should ultimately be approved and
> implemented by the Boost release managers; their
> opinions are particularly appreciated.

We're having the release manager discussion about this off the list but I
just wanted to let people know that we are discussing it.

I am personally in favor of:

   - No longer letting C++03 failures block the release
   - This means giving those core Boost libraries (that are just keeping
   C++03 support because other Boost libraries depend on them) the freedom to
   drop C++03 support.

I think we would wait at least two versions from the announcement, i.e. at
least after Boost 1.83 for the first Boost release where we drop the
support. This for both: Those distributions that ship Boost and update
their Boost version every 6 months or so, and: Giving authors that extra
time to get whatever they want in for the final "C++03 supporting" Boost.

The major version number increment when we do this is also appealing to me.
A further idea which was raised off list, and worth hearing the developer
community's opinion on, is:

   - When we go to version 2.0, Boost libraries would have to "opt in" to
   being part of the Boost collection. All this means is that those libraries
   who do not have active maintainers would not opt in, and would not ship in
   Boost 2.

Glen