From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-02-04 18:50:16

> To that end, I propose the following:
>
> Boost release 1.82.0 is announced as the last one with C++03 support. If
> critical problems are found in it post-release, we will issue 1.82.1, 1.82.2 and
> so on, as appropriate (as C++03 users will not be able to just upgrade to 1.83.)
>
> Boost release 1.83.0 is announced to require C++11 at minimum. This means
> compilers that have all the
> C++11 standard headers, and support all the C++11
> syntactic constructs and keywords without issuing errors. (E.g. VS2013
> doesn't qualify because it doesn't support the `constexpr` or `noexcept`
> keywords.)

Since people have come up with various creative ways to break all existing code
using Boost, and I've been asked off-list "but don't you want to break things", I
want to clarify that those are completely outside the scope of my proposal. It is
exactly as outlined above, no more and no less. I do not propose "Boost 2.0",
replacing the includes with boost2/foo.hpp, replacing the library names with
libboost2_foo, bumping the version to 2.0, dropping libraries from Boost, and
anything like.

As long as a C++11 compiler is used, code that compiles and works with 1.82
should continue to compile and work with 1.83, without changes.