From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-02-05 17:15:38

On 2/4/23 11:05 PM, Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost wrote:
> niedz., 5 lut 2023 o 01:29 Peter Dimov via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> napisał(a):
>
>> Robert Ramey wrote:

>>> The serialization library consists of code from 2002 which is tested at
>> each
>>> release to be sure it works with all known C++ compilers. A few tests
>> are
>>> elided on one or another platforms because they depend on standard
>> libraries
>>> which have been added/dropped over the years.
>>>
>>> May I presume that this doesn't affect me and I can ignore it?
>>
>> Yes, I think you can. Nothing will be required on your end.
>>

> However, if I understand the idea correctly, you might not be able to offer
> a c++03 support anymore.
> If Boost.Serialization depends on Boost.Optional and Boost.Optional depends
> on Boost.TypeTraits,

I'm pretty sure it doesn't

> and Boost.TypeTraits decide tos remove the code for C++03 compatibility,
> then Boost.Serialization
> loses C++03 compatibility also.

Right.

I think the wording is confusing here. The proposal is not to drop 03
support - whatever that means. The proposal is to deprecate and remove
a few older boost libraries which some library and user code might depend.

So - understood this way I get it. I still don't see what benefit
obtains though.

Robert Ramey