From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-02-07 22:49:56

On 8/02/2023 05:32, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Yes, https://github.com/mustache/spec. Since all reference input data is in
> JSON format, it follows that JSON is the canonical data source for Mustache.

Technically, the specified input format is not JSON, but JavaScript
objects -- hence allowing additional things beyond JSON such as lambdas.

(Personally, I feel like the lambda support is misplaced -- instead of
supporting lambdas in the input document it should support lambdas in
the partials instead, keeping presentation separate from data. I
understand why it doesn't, given that the default implementation assumes
each partial is a dumb file; but Boost.Mustache doesn't have that
limitation and could do better...)

Mustache also has a canonical output format -- it is intended only to
output as HTML and nothing else, since by default it incorporates HTML
escaping rules (although that can be selectively disabled, so
*technically* it can be abused to output other things).

I kind of feel like a more general-purpose templating language might be
more useful, but I don't have any particular preference and I don't
regard this as a valid reason for rejection.