From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2023-02-08 16:01:54

> It should be clear how not declaring msvc-14.0 a non-C++11 compiler and
> therefore unsupported by Boost 1.83.0+ is helpful for the users of msvc-14.0.

Then the reason that we should not support C++03 because is 20 years old
is not a very good reason.

The epoch should be set on how old the oldest compiler that fulfills the
minimum requirements of C++11 is. E.g. GCC 5 was released 8 years ago,
and I think Ubuntu 16.04 (released on 2016) was the first Ubuntu release
to have GCC-5 as the default compiler.

A lot of years, but certainly not 20. Maybe requiring support for all
the language features or the standard library is not strictly necessary.

Even two-phase lookup was first implemented in Visual Studio in VS 2017
and the C preprocessor in VS2019!

We should set minimum versions of compilers that we should support and
make sure we can test on those.

Best,

Ion